Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave a message on the Cbox at the sidebar to let me know you visited!
You can also navigate to my Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Tumblr accounts (links to your right)! Do add me if you know me :)
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Album Review: Perfectionist - Natalia Kills

THIS BLOG POST WAS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED ON 21 JANUARY 2012 and I have no idea what happened.

Hey! How's the first 3 weeks of 2012 been for you? Hope it's been fine. Thank goodness it's the Chinese New Year long weekend! Woots! Yesterday I went to Marina Square after school to use my Groupons for HMV. Guess what I bought?

Perfectionist - Natalia Kills
Whatever - Hot Chelle Rae

Why these two albums? Well I wanted to buy some albums that I couldn't find in a CD-Rama outlet. I'm pretty sure Perfectionist wasn't sold in CD-Rama, but I wasn't so sure about Whatever. I was like, whatever, so I just bought these two albums and left. In like 5 minutes. I had previously visited the HMV store to look at the stuff I wanted to buy. But why Perfectionist? I started listening to Natalia Kills since last year. (She's English, by the way.) The first song I heard was Wonderland. It's really catchy and the beat's sick. I listened to other songs and they were really quite impressive, so I decided to buy the album. That's not much of a reason. Natalia Kills has been compared to Lady Gaga and Rihanna and I do admit that their music are quite similar but Kills stands out from the rest because of the dark, gothic beats and metaphorical language she uses. Gosh, Rihanna only likes rude boys and birthday cakes (which, in my opinion, is a terrible metaphor). I really do see Natalia Kills as an emerging breakthrough artist in the industry. <3

I shall attempt to write an album review on Perfectionist.

File:NK Perfectionist.png

Overall, the album is quite dark, both lyrically and musically. When I first heard this album, I discovered that Natalia Kill's music is nothing quite like what I've heard before (probably I haven't heard that much music). There is some kind of goth-style music somewhere in there too. While some songs are really dark, others can get quite emotional and that's the other side of her which is displayed in songs such as Heaven. I'd love to give a song-by-song review because I'm too bored.

1. Perfection

This isn't really a song, but some prologue or introductory track to the album. The subject seems obsessively concerned with having power, having control...suffering from neurotic impules... It's like some doctor describing the medical condition of his patient. The subject here refers to Natalia Kills and her obessions with having power, control and being a perfectionist. Sorts of sums up the meaning of the album, in my opinion.

2. Wonderland

This is my favourite track of all, and the first one I've ever heard from Natalia Kills. I was rather addicted to this song for a while when I first heard it, because it's musically so different from Britney or other artists. The whole idea of the song is in the chorus: I don't believe in fairy tales/ but I believe in you and me. In the first verse, Kills sings about the how she is not characters in fairy tales, referring to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Little Red Riding Hood and Beauty and the Beast. The whole song is about how she wants to be taken into a world like those in fairy tales, despite not believing in fairy tales. 5/5

3. Free (feat. will.i.am)

This track features vocals from will.i.am. Natalia Kills is currently with the will.i.am Music Group, just to let you know. Free is an upbeat boomzy (I would describe this as boomzy, the meaning of which you will slowly figure out) track about MONEY. This might seem really materialistic but the whole idea of the song is that she is FREE. I interpret that as being unrestrained, not free-of-charge that free. I'm free/ I just spent all my money but I rock that like it don't cost a thing/ Free/ Burn a hole in my pocket but I rock that like it don't cost a thing. will.i.am's featured part of the song can get quite addictive haha. :D 4/5

4. Kill My Boyfriend

You might be like, whoa, violent tendencies here. In the music video, she does hold a knife but this song isn't all that scary after all. It's about killing her boyfriend who treats her nice only when there's somebody there (in other words, not nice). Angst can be heard in Kills' vocals (ZOMG a pun!) and in particular the word 'Kill'. 4.5/5

5. Break You Hard

If you ever feel like going mad on someone and stab them with a knife, you'll probably love this song. It's about wanting to get rid of a lover you don't love anymore (I think). Something you need to know about her songs is her use of one-liners in the bridge. Lipstick/ Lies/ Tears/ Tragedies appears in the bridge of this song. 4/5

6. Zombie

About a boy who is also zombie HAHA. No, he's actually quite cold towards to her. Are zombies cold? I'm in love with a zombie boy/ But his heart is so cold. This track utilises cold hard clapping-like beats, house drums and a creepy synthesizer melody in the introduction and the outro. 4.5/5

I should write less because my hands are aching. Probably gonna stop here because I'm lazy. BUT NO WORRIES, the exceptional tracks have been covered. Another track from this album you MUST listen to is MIRRORS. It has that S&M and really really dark theme. I was really creeped out first but this is song is kinda sexy if you know what I mean.

All of her music videos are what you might call weird, but I call them unique. For example, in Wonderland, she uses blood to portray certain images of love: that love kills. In that of Mirrors, of course there are mirrors, but there are creepy skulls and she is wearing some black gothic costume ZOMG. And ultra-thick eye-liner.

I would give Perfectionist a 9 out of 10.

Natalia Kills is a really really promising artist and her debut album was really something you wouldn't expect from a new artist. I'm looking forward to her next album! :)

I've uploaded Perfectionist onto my SkyDrive. Download it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

©2013 Silas Blogs